Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wonderful weekend.

Friday morning I set off at 9am to the Catskills with my Forest Ecology class to climb Hunter Mountain and survey a few of the forests up there. It was not as easy a hike up the mountain (the Catskills' second highest point), but it had splendid views, wonderful smells, and beautiful beautiful beautiful forests to tromp around in. Growing up with my hyper tick-conscious grandmother, I was always strongly discouraged from exploring woody/grassy areas. I did it anyway, as a kid, but I was always very careful and made sure that I'd have the opportunity to shower/check myself over for ticks within hours of my exploring.
Well this weekend, that didn't happen. I ran around and crawled and climbed in wooded areas, I went off the worn path and really observed (and measured- this was a lab, after all) the beautiful life that the forests had to offer: the beautiful life that people often miss out on because it's not so accessible or perfectly laid out for them.


I made new friends, I became close to everyone, I got to sleep under the stars, and I got closer to people that I really wanted to (and people who I hadn't even imagined getting closer to!).

That senor studly I have a crush on was on the trip, too. Good conversations, my apprehension and nervousness over "oh no is this mutual?!" easing because, no matter what happens, boy oh boy what a guy to be friends with! I love it when people can light you up inside, when they are living your dreams, when you can be silent or over-explain to the point where you'd normally be mortified with yourself yet still remain comfortable.

We arrived on campus today, Saturday, at 6:30pm. We were going to go contra dancing tonight but he called the second I got out of the shower to say he'd unexpectedly had something pop up. I didn't go dancing but I so, so wish I had. It's the first Saturday in weeks where I haven't gone contra dancing and even though my legs are sore and I'm thirsty and maybe a little feverish, I feel so much regret that I didn't go. I saved myself $15 but missed out on my weekly outlet to let loose and do what I love most.
Oh well, now I know.

I think things are going well. I am excited for the future. I am excited for the present. I am passionate about people: I love them all, even the shitty ones.

Atop Hunter Mountain Fire Tower.

Dinner dinner dinner

Good morning, campsite!


For dinner I had chickpeas + mustard + soy sauce. MMMmmmmm! I had originally just wanted a big spoonful of mustard but I am an adult now, didn't you hear? Adults don't do that.

Next up: who wants to fuck their boss? This girl, that's who.

-Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment