Sunday, October 17, 2010

I like you, David Sedaris




Autumn makes me think of wood-paneled station wagons that smell faintly of smoke, shoes, and maybe buttery movie popcorn? I'm not absolutely sure on that last one. It makes me miss Bellport, because if little else, it did fall foliage pretty well. I love that fall is so promising, and spooky-- that wind on my face alone can bring thoughts of witches and graveyards, and that the brisk chill of the outside is heartily soothed by warm soup once I cross the threshold of home. I love that fall means the debut of scarves- which keep me warm as I'm walking outside and compulsively pulling the leaves from any hedges or branches my fingers can reach- all while reminding me of the spooky tale of the little girl whose head was attached to her body only by her scarf, and who died for her love, who killed her with his insatiable curiosity. Not a great love story, but a fantastically simple spooky story that still gives me occasional goosebumps.

-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment