Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yesterday I was treated worse than I have ever been treated by anyone in my adult life.
I learned a very important lesson through this, however. Appearances are often not deceiving, and Aesop's fable of the scorpion and the frog is more true than we'd like to acknowledge.
You cannot blame the scorpion for acting in accordance with his nature, just as you cannot blame a child for behaving like a child, even when you most desperately wish he wouldn't.
Yesterday I was treated very badly by someone with whom I had tried to have a romantic relationship this past summer. I had been attracted to his delightful immaturity, his profound thoughtfulness, and his strange inability to relate to the real world. Nothing I did to him warranted the cruelty and complete disrespect which I was shown, but I cannot pretend that I am still upset. He was immature (not so delightful, in this case), he overthought everything, and he was completely unable to relate to or participate in the very real-world situation we had on our hands. His personality is wonderfully intriguing in most cases, but apparently not in all cases.
I was absolutely livid last night, but now I am okay. I am glad he spared me more wasted time, more hurt feelings, and more future confusion. I tried something new this summer, and it backfired. New rule: no children allowed. There is a reason why every single man I've ever loved or been attracted to or even had flings with thus far have been significantly older: because that's what works best for me.

I will still care for him affectionately, I've got some very fond memories of our experiences together, and I am overwhelmingly and completely happy to have our relationship done with!
Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice, It's Alright

Kern ( I Want to Be Dylan ) Little | Myspace Video

So long, honey babe
Where I'm bound, I can't tell
But goodbye's too good a word, babe
So I'll just say fare thee well
I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don't mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don't think twice, it's all right

-Camille

1 comment:

  1. This has always been my favorite Bob Dylan song. Remember when you were playing Bob Dylan songs for me and I told you I would never ever like a single song by this crazy wailing moaning fool? This song came on next and I immediately regretted saying that in case you'd ever remember and quote me.

    ReplyDelete