Sunday, April 18, 2010

I am absolutely positive that if I weren't vegan, I would have given myself food poisoning a hundred times by now from undercooked meat. I have got some serious skills when it comes to timing my vegetables perfectly- I've got those down. Baked goods, I always overcook because
a. I can't tell the difference
b. I hate baking, and
c. I'd rather have something burnt/dry than pudding-ish in the middle.
I was thinking the other day about how I wish fish weren't an animal, because everyone is always going on about how healthy it is. Then I thought, "jeeze louise, I would have no clue how to cook that thing."
I went vegetarian the night after the first time I ever cooked meat all on my own. I made chicken tandoori and it was delicious, but I couldn't touch it while cooking. I had to marinate the chicken and touching the meat with my hands gave me chills. The pores (where they'd been plucked?) were horrifying. I realized I was handling (and would be consuming) a corpse, something that once had (a horrible) life and something that deserved life as much as I do.
This isn't about veganism or anything. I'm just saying, if I tried to cook meat for anyone, they would get very sick.
Also, once my roommate asked me to get a tuna-steak out of the freezer so it could defrost. I couldn't tell for the life of me what was meat and what was fish, forget about what TUNA STEAK was (I knew that it sort of looked like a redder guava jelly, but that didn't get me terribly far). I ended up walking around my floor with three freezerbags full of meat, asking the people I could find which one was a tuna steak. It turns out one of them was a regular-ass steak and another one was salmon. Uhhhhh, yes. I am good at calculus. Not things that you were supposed to learn by the time you entered kindergarten. SPEAKING OF WHICH! I love this picture. It's from one of Richard Scarry's books- I used to adore them.The pigs were the butchers in the town. Even when I was that young I remember thinking "hm. That's funny..." in a "curiouser and curiouser" sort of way. Not a ha-ha joke sort.

Today in the park a buncha nerds were playing quidditch. It was more for the sake of "playing quidditch" than playing a sport, but the rules were obviously very thought out, the uniforms were appropriate, and they looked like they were having a lot of fun.
this is a bad picture, but it's the only one in which you can see the 3 hoops setup:

-Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment