Monday, April 5, 2010

We've both had such good weekends! My life just feels more cheerful now that it's spring. I stopped by the grocery store to pick up coffee filters and ended up coming back with another plant, and no filters. I also went to the Chinese bakery to get soy eggs. Deceptively simple, and really weird looking, but divine. They're hard boiled eggs which are then soaked until they've died and gone to heaven in a mixture of soy sauce, white pepper, and most importantly, star anise.
My mom has such an amazing green thumb and I always aspire to wield the same power over the garden that she does.
As I'm typing, Abra is looking forlornly at the flowers. I bet part of him wants to eat them, but he's also a little jealous of how much I've been cooing at them and not him. Cyndy has plants too but they're green and don't have pretty flowers to compete with his cute face.
You can't tell from the picture, but behind the drying clothes is a small garden that she and my grandmother planted a little while after she first bought the apartment. There are scallions, tomatoes, and peppers. My mom doesn't even eat peppers. I think she just likes the way they look as they grow.

-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment