Sunday, April 4, 2010

I went for the first time yesterday to Owl's Head Park with a friend. It was windy and bright and beautiful, and all the Hasidic Jews were out with their enormous, darkly clad families. I was too afraid of them to take pictures, but one little girl kept looking at me like she wanted me to catch the ball she was playing with. She was so small that when she lifted the little ball in her arms, it went over her hand and behind her, and she was always shocked that it simply vanished from her tiny fingers.



This baby was at the park with his grandparents, and they were mostly huddled around him like a mama and papa bear.


We decided to bring a little picnic with us, and happened to find this small corner deli and I impulsively ordered a Cubano sandwich for 5 dollars: ham, braised pulled pork, tomato and pickles grilled perfectly together in generous portions on a hero. It was unequivocally the most amazing sandwich I've ever eaten in my life.
On the subject of Exeter, I do know the pang of wanting to feel fulfilled by the long tradition of East Coast academic hierarchy, but I think the reason you (and I) don't quite fit in there is because that kind of education comes with an expectation of being put on a distinct path, and we would rather be slightly below the radar, as observers, until we can rise up at the right time. Like spies. And, I'm glad you came back because I missed you.

-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment