Tuesday, April 6, 2010

So I received an email ~2weeks ago that I haven't responded to. It was this guy asking me on a date. Since then, I've received two more follow-up emails (the last one being sent 6 days ago) from the same guy. Not "you fucking bitch keeping me hanging like this" emails, but rather "oh, and here's something else funny!" or "you're adorable" emails. These aren't business/professional/scholarly. They don't NEED to be answered, per se. I know it's not too late to write back (that's not what I'm asking), but is it okay to pretend that I haven't received them? or that I've died? The hitch here is that FACEBOOK makes it pretty obvious to the world that I am not yet deceased.
I have no intention of ever going out with him, but the merciful, I-don't-like-to-hurt-anyone's-feelings Camille in me is retching from the guilt. I actually went out with him once before, many many moons (months) ago, and not an ounce of fun was had on my part. I felt so guilty the whole time- he looked like he was seeing the sun in me, and I just knew he wasn't right for me. Too aggressive, too self-conscious, too angry, too arrogant.
What sealed our fate beyond any doubt, however, was when we got on the subway for me to lead him from our date to Grand Central. We hopped on without looking on a map, without any hesitation at the station, not looking at every possible entrance and stairwell, etc. because I knew where we were going. We were on the train and he was talking and I was looking out the window because when I don't like/respect a person, I've got this horrible habit of not being able to look them in the face. He said "I fucking knew it. We're on the wrong train, aren't we?"
He said it in such a frustrated, "WOW, how could I not see this would happen" sort of way that I got really offended and just said "no, we're not. I know where we're going." It continued with him saying "I could tell when we got on... you're looking out the window at every stop... we're going the wrong way!" and I was getting saltier and saltier until at the next stop I made him tell me what station it was. I then pointed to the map above the seats and said "LOOK. WE ARE GOING THERE. WE ARE NOW HERE. WE CAME FROM UP THERE. ARE WE GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? ARE WE ON THE RIGHT TRAIN? YES? YES. WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRAIN." and then he said, "oh, okay" and smiled at me. But the damage was done.
I have no confidence in my creative or reasoning skills, but no one can tell me I don't know how to read a goddamn subway map.

If you can call what we had a relationship--which you cannot--then I am the one who did the "dumping." Instead of my original idea, something which I have callously employed in the past, of simply texting "U R DUMPD," I had an emotional, heartfelt monologue as to why there was zero possibility for us to date.
So what is this shit all of a sudden?

On a lighter note:

lookadis pretteh shit.

-Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment